Get to grips with online gambling
Gambling or gaming is undoubtedly fun no matter whether you are a gambling online or on your mobile. With the introduction of mobile gambling sites access to gambling has never been so easy, that is why it is even more important to make sure you are in control of your gambling habits.
Lets face it we have all gotten carried away once in a while, whether its having just a few more spins on your favourite slot or playing a few more hands at poker to try and win big. But knowing when to stop and setting yourself limits is key to gambling responsibly, online or offline.
Here are a few key pointers to keep in mind:
- Only gamble what you can afford to
- Set yourself a limit of the maximum you are willing to lose that day, week or month.
- Limit the amount of time you play, set yourself a time limit.
So lets go through those points and see how you can get to grips with your gambling habits. Remember, gambling is meant to be fun and entertainment. If you are starting to get worried or stress, stop. Talk to someone.
Reduce the risk and set yourself a limit
Reducing the amount of money you spend at your favourite casinos and on the games you like is a great way to make sure you limit your risk. You should only gamble with money you can afford to lose and not go over it. Only deposit in small amounts or gamble with your winnings.
You will find that most online and mobile casinos allow you to set deposit limits as well as limiting how much you can lose during a specific period. Some even allow you to exclude yourself from playing at the casino for a certain time. Most of the time you will need you to contact them directly or you can set the limits from the settings area when you login.
Worried that you are playing too much?
Gambling should be entertaining and a thrill but there are times it can become more than just a past time and more of a habit. To know if you are playing too much, or someone you know, there are a few things you should look out for:
- You’re out with friends or at work but you can’t wait to get home or get your mobile out and play a few hands of poker or spin a few slots. You are becoming preoccupied with gambling and it’s always on your mind.
- You return day after day to the casinos and play to try and regain your losses.
- You play with more than you can afford and ask to borrow money from friends and family to finance your growing habit.
- You’d prefer to be playing slots and games than being with friends or family and turn down opportunities to have fun in other ways jeopardising relationships.
- You have tried to give up but your efforts have been unsuccessful and you keep on gambling.
These are just a few ways you can spot if you have a habit. If this is the case then we recommend that professional help should be sought as soon as possible so you can get back to a healthy, happy lifestyle.
If you think you have a problem or you think someone you know has a problem, then there are organisations around the world dedicated to helping people overcome their gambling habits and addictions. Many of these organisations are anonymous.
GamCare is an internationally renowned support organisation specialising in gambling problems. They can provide you with information, advice and support. You can contact them via online chat or call them on their helpline: 0808 8020 133.
Other foundations and organisations dealing with gambling specific problems include:
- GamblersAnonymous – gamblersanonymous.org
- ResponsibleGambling – responsiblegambling.org
- GamTalk – gamtalk.org
- NCPGambling – ncpgambling.org
- ProblemGambling – problemgambling.ca
- ProblemGambling – problemgambling.vic.gov.au
- ChoiceNotChance – choicenotchance.org.nz
Remember that gambling is meant to be fun and entertaining, if it’s starts to become more than that then seek help and talk to friends or family.